7.19.2008

The Journey...or should I say Journeys

Oh what a journey it has been...By this time next week, I will have have traveled nearly 14,000 miles within the past 6 weeks, to and from Arizona, having been in a total of 9 different states and 6 different airports.  

Middlebuy to Tucson...the drive...

Due to some timing issues, and an impending Sharp family vacation, Natalie and I decided it would be best if she did not make the initial drive to Tucson with me...in hind-site, being 20 weeks pregnant, she would have gone insane via lack of comfort about hour 2 of day 2!  This was quite the drive and quite the experience.  After saying my Indiana goodbyes, my mother and I started off on this journey together early on a
 Monday morning.  I decided that this would be a great opportunity for us to spend time together.  I also decided that I was going to "make this drive" without relinquishing command of the Taurus.  

Day 1 (10 hour-drive) was incredible...time flew by (as did many vehicles).  I had the "I'm gonna make it by ___pm" mentality.  I am a man of calculations, preparation, and planning and day 1 couldn't have gone any better.  We made a slight (intentional) detour on day one, venturing off I-70, and headed through Branson to visit Jared and Lauren at Kanakuk.  It was so much fun spending time with them, getting to see them "in kamp mode."  We spent what seemed to be way too little time with them at "kamp" and over dinner and then headed back to their condo for a good night's sleep.  It wasn't until I was dressing the next morning that I began to find insect bites...still not sure what they were...not mosquitoes, not spiders...Jared and Lauren think maybe chiggers...all I can say is I have never itched so horribly in my life.  Most of the bites (on myself and on my mom) became nickel to quarter-sized boil-like irritations, all located from the waist down.  4 weeks later, the bites are still visible, but slowly fading away.

Day 2 started a bit behind schedule...this is my problem...if I didn't set a schedule then I wouldn't have to feel behind!  About hour 2, despite the beautiful drive through the back roads of the Ozark Mountains, I thought "there is no way Natalie and the kids will be able to drive the van out here and make this car trip!"  Day 2 went on and on through parts of Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico.  10 hours after starting, we rolled into Tucumcari, NM, which was a literal Route 66 ghost town.  I felt like I was in Radiator Springs, waiting for Mater, Miss Sally, Doc, and the rest of the game from Disney's "Cars" movie, to round the corner at any minute.  Seriously...if you have seen "Cars" then you have seen Tucumcari, NM!  We stayed at the Hampton Inn.  I headed down to the whirlpool to soak my exhausted frame (and my bug bites), and to think through the coming day's drive.

Day 3 went off much like Day 2...a little late on our start.  Northern New Mexico was beautiful, as we were in and out of incredible mountains just before entering the Albuquerque area.  Southern New Mexico was not...although the Rio Grande river valley, which runs from north to south, was intriguing, as it snaked its way along side the interstate most of the way.  This final 9-hour leg of the trip, felt like 18!  I was physically and mentally exhausted!  I drove right up to about 27 hours of our trip, before handing over the reigns...looking 
back on it, I was a fool for trying to do it by myself, as it was an issue of pride and accomplishment.  Mom finished out the remainder of the drive, while I caught a quick cat-nap as we rolled into Tucson...29 hours, 1930 miles, and 7 states.


On June 29, mom and I boarded a flight in Tucson, and returned to Fort Wayne.  I was with Natalie and the kids for the week, spending our anniversary together, and making a trip to southeastern Ohio to the Hocking Hills area, which I am now convinced is one of the most beautiful areas I have been.  We had a family cabin and spent some good time with the Sharp family.  More than anything, I cherished the moments with my wife and kids, knowing that Saturday evening, I was headed back to Tucson.  We took several hikes in the Hocking Forest area, with streams, waterfalls, and caves that were simply amazing!  We fished, watched fireworks, played, rode a train, and had an overall great week as a family (despite the hook Hallie managed to embed in Natalie's
 leg)!  Saturday, July 5, was one of the hardest days of my life, as I said goodbye to my wife and kids (with no real end in sight yet) and boarded a flight back to Tucson. 


More to come...

In the coming days, we will put an end to this "being apart" nonsense, which has lasted exactly two weeks today.  I will fly back to Indiana July 24th, to get my wife and kids and 
move them into our rental home.  The Lord has truly blessed us and prepared a place for us.  I believe He will sell our house when the time is right and that He has an even better home waiting for us when the time is right to purchase!  Here are a couple of pictures of the house we are renting.

As I reflect on the events of this past month, I am awe struck and humbled by how God has provided just what we needed and just when we needed it (although, maybe not when WE thought we needed it).  And though I am weary, I have found peace and a sense of re
newed strength in Him and in the beauty and majesty of His creation.  The Journey thus far has been long, exhausting, exciting, and rewarding...yet it has only just begun.
Grass is pretty rare in an AZ back yard!  We are truly blessed with how God has provided.  This house is 2 blocks from Hallie's school!