8.19.2008

Time flies by...so do the Monsoons

I am amazed at how quickly nearly a month has disappeared since I last wrote.  Since late July, Natalie, the kids, and I have reunited, flown to Tucson, moved, unpacked, found a scorpion in a moving box (in the house), found a lizard in our bedroom closet, started Hallie's school year at Kindergarten, started my school year, visited 4 churches, started Kaden in gymnastics class, met our neighbors, and experienced numerous Arizona "monsoons" (this would be the Indiana equivalent of a severe thunderstorm).

Actually the monsoons are pretty amazing.  Rain literally falls in sheets on one side of the road, while the pavement on the opposite sidewalk remain as dry as the surrounding desert!  The lightning is amazing, particularly after dark when the Santa Catalina Mountains are lit up against the night sky.  Rain is usually driven horizontally by the desert winds and brings with it a fragrant aroma that I cannot describe.  I have never been able to smell the rain like I can here.  As quickly as the rain comes, it is gone.  I have seen dry "wash" areas and "river beds" go from blowing dust bowls to raging torrents of muddy water, sand, and rock in a matter of minutes.  If a motorist is to come upon a road closed sign, it is best to heed the warning.  In fact the "Stupid Motorist Law" (yes that is what it is really called), prohibits motorists from entering standing water that can literally sweep your car away in a flash.  If one is foolish enough to attempt, one must also be prepared to pay the $2000-$5000 fee associated with paying for your own rescue...says the "Stupid Motorist Law."  I think I'll save that money for a down payment on a house, should ours in Middlebury ever sell!  :)  

Segue...

Ironically enough, despite all the change that has gone on in the past month, the one constant in our lives is that very thing...our house in Middlebury.  The same house that my wife had to prepare for showings more than a dozen times by herself, with all our stuff to keep clean and our kids to pick up after and pack up in the van each time...now sits empty, not having been shown once since we left.  Any time now would be fine with us! :)

No comments: